Storytelling Portraits for High School Seniors
~ Parent’s Guide ~
Welcome to your senior year, parents. I know how much you have on your plate this year and I want to make sure that your child’s Senior Portrait Session is easy and fun for all of you. The following info will answer many of your questions and should be a helpful foundation for planning. I’m available to answer any other questions. You can call, text or email: email@example.com 720.988.9810
When to Book:
Book as soon as possible and schedule your session for before the start of the school year. Once that senior school year starts, things start moving at lightning-speed. Schedule your session in the summer, when you can have more time to enjoy the experience and have some flexibility with your scheduling. Most local photographers get fully booked in September and October.
Questions to Consider:
– What do you want from this session? A single large print for a central focal point in your home? A collage that tells more of a story of your child? Gifts for grandparents? Anything else?
– Where do you want your session to take place? I have a studio in Evergreen and typically my senior sessions are a mix of in-studio and outdoors in the beautiful open space areas. Do you want your session to take place at your home or somewhere else that has meaning to your family?
– Do you want to have an in-person consultation prior to your session? I encourage this as a way to gather as much information as possible and to get comfortable with me and with the studio. I also offer over-the-phone consults, if that’s more convenient.
New for 2016/17: Inclusive digital photography package – includes planning consult, custom session, 35 edited images, sized for print & web-sharing. $1495.[$175 deposit due at booking. 50% due 2 weeks prior. Balance due before gallery delivery, typically 2-3 weeks after session.]Why this single offering? This is to simplify the process at a time when you’re busy, your senior is busy, but you still want to own all the best images and have them on-hand. This gives you the flexibility to print your favorites, share only what you want to share and not have to be burdened with a lot of decisions in an ordering session.
How to Plan:
Clothing: We talk about this in more detail in our planning appointment. Basically you’ll want pieces your child loves and that they feel really good wearing. And they need to be clothes that YOU are okay with them wearing.
Hair & Makeup: I work with a local hair salon that can do professional hair & makeup. But you’re welcome to use someone else you already like, or you’re welcome to do your own. Think about keeping things easy, so that if you want to switch hairstyles from up to down mid-session you can. Makeup should not change your typical look. The purpose of makeup for these sessions is to smooth and even out skin tones and accentuate your facial features.
Self care: Hydrate. Eat well. Rest. We know we should ALWAYS do these things (right?), but be extra-diligent in the week prior to your session.
Visualize your session: Brainstorm session ideas (Pinterest is a fun tool), write and sketch and share these ideas prior to the session as that will help me plan locations and strategize the session flow.
What to Expect at the Session:
If you opt to have professional hair and makeup done, I usually plan for this to take 1.5 – 2 hours, depending on hair length and style. I work with a local salon, but you’re welcome to use anyone you like and you’re welcome to do your own. After hair & makeup, we meet at the studio and will lay out your clothing options. We’ll work together to pick your favorites that will work best with the locations we’ve chosen. From there, we’ll either shoot in-studio or head to our local locations.* Sessions typically last about 1 1/2 hours, depending on our overall plan. Some – usually our young men – don’t need as much time and those sessions are about an hour.
*If we’re shooting elsewhere, we’ll decide on another central meeting spot as our ‘home base’.
What to Expect after the Session:
Rescheduling for Illness or Weather:
In the event of illness or bad weather, we’ll keep-in-touch as things develop and we’ll come up with a revised game plan as-needed. There is no charge for rescheduling a shoot in these instances. Life happens and I accommodate it as best as I can.
Kind words from my lovely clients:
- I love the way you capture her real personality.
- It is especially beautiful how people see her light within your photos and that isn’t something that just anyone can capture.
- Many photographers seem to be “cookie cutter” and rarely display any of the senior’s personality, however I can tell your photos are the exact opposite.
- I love that our daughter is thrilled with the pictures, that makes my husband and I so happy.
- You truly could not have captured her personality any better.
- WOW!!! Is all I can say!! These portraits look absolutely AMAZING!!!!
- I love the lighting and location of your photos.
- I love that your images are different.
- I have been researching different photographers for Senior pictures and KMP is unique.