On Saturday, November 2nd, the Women of Evergreen Businesses (WEB) group is hosting an event to support our local veterans.
They’ve put their lives on the line for us, and now we have a chance to say thank you and show our support for our troops as they make the transition back home.
The November 2nd event will raise money to send local participating military families to Project Sanctuary, with retreats in Granby, Colorado. During these retreats, the families will have the opportunity to bond with other military families, they’ll enjoy recreational activities together, take classes that will help them with their relationships and practical day-to-day life skills.
Project Sanctuary offers these retreats at NO COST to military families, but they need help raising funds so they can continue.
Here’s what YOU can do to help:
– Buy a ticket and join us for an amazing evening at Mount Vernon Country Club on Saturday, November 2nd. Tickets are $50 each and include a buffet, live music and silent auction. There will also be speakers to share more about Project Sanctuary and the impact it makes on the lives of vets and their families. Tickets are available for sale at the Wild Bird Store and Mountain View Physical Therapy.
– Donate an item for the silent auction or door prize. If you or someone you know would be interested, have them contact me!
– Donate directly to Project Sanctuary.
The Power of Statistics
Please read below to see how Project Sanctuary truly makes a difference. And the alarming facts about U.S. Service Members, Veterans and Families.
PROJECT SANCTUARY FACT SHEET
“Helping our nation’s heroes finally come home”
Vision Statement: Assist military service members returning from our nation’s wars and conflicts with reintegration into the family unit through a holistic approach healing the effects of war and treating all members of the family at their level of need; enabling the service members to reintegrate into their families and communities in a healthy and sustainable manner resulting in the preservation of the family unit and strengthening of the community, the military and the country.
Project Sanctuary Quick Facts:
The organization is a Colorado 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation founded in September 2007.
The founding principle is that the whole family serves and that the best way to “support the troops” is by supporting the family.
Services are provided through six-day retreats at YMCA of the Rockies in Granby, CO, at no cost to the participating military families.
Continuing support and services are provided to each family for two years following the retreat.
Project Sanctuary has hosted more than 30 therapeutic retreats and is providing support and services for over 260 military families, comprised of almost 1,000 individuals.
* Of these families, approximately 60% are active duty and 40% are veterans.
* 80% of the participating service members are “wounded warriors” with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and/or traumatic brain injury (TBI), physical wounds and/or amputations.
The numbers speak for themselves. Of the families served by Project Sanctuary:
* 90% are still together.
* Only one arrest has occurred, compared to much higher numbers for the returning military population at large.
* NO PARTICIPANT HAS COMMITTED SUICIDE.
Project Sanctuary’s waitlist now has more than 1,300 families patiently waiting.
Statistics for U.S. Service Members, Veterans and Families:
2.5 million brave men and women have been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.
Of those deployed, 1 in 50 returns home with physical disabilities.
Of those deployed, 1 in 5 returns home with invisible injuries of war such as TBI, PTSD, alcoholism, anxiety, and depression.
Child abuse and neglect triples when a parent is deployed.
There are 22 veteran suicides and an average of almost one active duty suicide EVERY DAY.
For more information about Project Sanctuary and the services they offer, please go to www.ProjectSanctuary.us
Thank you for reading and please join us on Saturday, November 2nd at 6 pm!